Quick Metadata Edit Process to Increase Traffic Overnight
Here is an easy/cheap process which can increase site traffic almost overnight
It simply requires a copywriter (or someone who knows what makes a good meta title/description), Googles Search Console, Google Sheets (or Excel), and the internet… Here are the steps:
- Log into Webmaster Tools
- Head to the search analytics section: https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/search-analytics
- Check the boxes for Clicks, Impressions, CTR, and Position
- Click the radio button for “Pages”
- Scroll to the bottom of the list and open the drop-down to 100 rows
- Now look to the left of the bottom of the page to the “Download” button, then click that
- Open up your Google Docs account, then upload the .csv you just downloaded
- View it as a Google Sheet (center above the current view)
- Now, highlight the sheet and ‘Sort by’ column header ‘Impressions’ Z-A
- Then look top-to-bottom in the CTR column and look for CTR’s below the average (or, start with anything less than 1.5%)
- Highlight the CTR fields under that average in a new color
- Add column headers for “Current Meta Title”, “Current Meta Description”, “Current Avg Time On Site (organic traffic)”, “New Meta Title”, “New Meta Description” and then “New CTR
- Put a date in the current CTR column so you remember when that was the case
- Now, copy all of the URLs in the URL column.
- Click on this link: http://tools.buzzstream.com/meta-tag-extractor
- Paste those URLs into the box on the left and start the metadata scrape
- Give it 30 seconds and then head to the bottom left of the page and export the results as a .csv
- Open the .csv and sort them alphabetically
- Then, go back to your Google sheet with the search console data export and sort that alphabetically
- Now, copy the columns for title and descriptions from the current metadata export .csv
- Paste those into the Google sheet columns (double check whether they match up)
- Send this sheet off to your copywriter (or contact me) to get new meta titles/descriptions written for those with the lowest CTRs first.
- The strategy for the new metadata is more actionable and providing clear value props in the copy.
- Resubmit those URLs to Google indexing via Search Console.
- Run those for a week and check both CTR from search and Avg Time on Site from search traffic. If both are lifted, you stick with the new metadata. If not, revert back or try another round of copy.
If you enjoyed this, join our Growth Slack channel so we can discuss more there:
Thank you for your time and consideration
“Alex grasps your market and your value proposition all while keeping a pulse on the daily changes of options for your software stack. The best part about Alex is the experience, he’s tried different approaches and software and will save you the time of going down the hard road. Bottom-line: the best Chicago Growth-Hackers I’ve met yet.”Darren McAbery,
Head of Marketing at Inspire Marketing Services
“Alex knows the tactics that it takes to execute to get growth. He’s got a good sense for the latest trends in growth and user acquisition as well as paid acquisition across different channels. He understands the marketing landscape and all the changes that companies need to make to grow their audiences.” Andy O’Dower, Head of Product for Curiosity.com
“Alex is very knowledgeable about marketplace growth strategies. He has a solid understanding analytics attribution and event tracking for saas. Just recently I consulted Alex on some event-based messaging for apps to further our strategy. I would definitely recommend Alex to anyone that is looking to improved their business, whether saas or app, to help solidify their growth strategy.”Marek Dzik,
Mobile Product Manager for Brad's Deals
“Alex came into a brand new industry, learned the nuances, and then customized a strategy based on the needs of our customers. In addition to his marketing skills, Alex is also a tremendous recruiter and manager of both internal and virtual teams.” Patrick O'Rahilly, CEO of FactoryFix.com
“Alex has been a mentor to me the past 6 months, and has taught me more this year than I could have hoped to learn in the next 5. I am now confident and eager to start putting his training to work in this field.” Zackary Conover, Marketing Professional
“When it comes to growth marketing, Alex is the master. I had the pleasure of hosting a networking event where I moderated a panel on what it takes to run a mobile app company. Alex was one of our panelist and his ability to relate, explain and motivate the audience really impressed me. The audience could tell he is an absolute expert in his field but was also able to explain his thoughts in a way that was relatable to everyone. Both myself and the audience, were so appreciative of him spreading his knowledge with us that evening.”J.P. Lamp, PHR, Corporate Recruiter and Entrepreneur
“I have worked under Alex for the past 6 months, and every day he brings so much excitement and passion to our project. He is constantly showing us how to optimize our processes to get the most out of each day. He knows what technology to use and what processes will or won’t work. I am very thankful to have worked with Alex and hope to keep learning from him in the future.”Alice Salt, Settlement Analyst at Invenergy LLC